Sunday, January 20, 2013

Myositis

Myositis is very rare disease which is considered chronic inflammation of muscle tissue which is accompanied by muscle weakness.

Myositis is considered to be a connective tissues disease also, for which is an autoimmune disorder that your white blood cells attack blood vessels, joints, bones, organs (connective tissue) and also attacks normal muscle.

The three main types of myositis are polymyositis, dermatomyositis, and inclusion body myositis, there are others also but these are the main ones.

Some of the myositis is considered to be idiopathic, which means no known cause but they are thought to be autoimmune disorders.

Slow and progressive muscle weakness starts in the proximal muscles which means the muscles closes to the body, the inflammation causes damage to the muscles that causes the weakness and can also cause problem,s with the arteries and blood vessels that are in the muscles that are affected.

Fatigue is a big part with myositis. Such as I described in an another post, the weakness and fatigue after walking or standing, tripping, falling. Sometimes this can affect your swallowing or breathing. Some get pain as I do also from the weakness and fatigue.

This can also cause problems with speaking, getting up from chairs, climbing stairs, lifting items, shortness of breath etc.

This disease can slowly progress this is what my doctors told me that I have the progressive type.

The treatment for this is the immune suppressants such as I take, preds. Exercise is good with good sense.

Diagnoses is very difficult for this disease. I myself had to have a muscle biopsy to have the final diagnoses. I also had an EMG and the doctor put it together with the symptoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment