Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Little More Explanations On Ilnesses and Meds

I started to think the other day that I did not go into very much explanations on the medications I have been taken or have I gone into very much of an explanation on  the illnesses I will try to do better.

First I would like to explain my Imuran I am on for the UCTD with the features of the scleroderma, the Hashimoto's Encephalitis, the Myositis, and also the autoimmune colitis that I have.

Imuran is an immune suppressant. With autoimmune diseases your immune system is on over drive attacking your own body. With the immune suppressants such as I take which is the Imuran, it helps to suppress  my immune system but by doing so it also makes me more at risk illness. It lowers white blood cell count. Mine has been very low for over two years. Just having a lowered white blood cell count makes you more susceptible to catching colds, flues, all illnesses. I was told when I started on this drug that I should avoid crowds, I should stay out of weddings, receptions, closed buildings, anythings that closes the germs in. I was also told this drug is dangerous it can cause certain kinds of cancers. Certain kinds of blood disorders. This drug is classified under a cancer drug. I am well aware of the risks of this drug, but also well aware of the what ifs that could happen if I did not take it. When I start to get a cold or cough I am suppose to go into a doctor right away because of the risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment